Freitag, 20. Januar 2012

London

It was surprisingly sunny when I landed at Luton Airport in London. It took my 25 minutes to get through the pass control which reminded me of my journeys to the USA. I met Steph at St Pancras in Northern London and after 6 months of not seeing each other, we had lots to talk about during the upcoming next 2 days. Even though it was not my first time in London, the beautiful old buildings, the red buses as well as the fancy taxis caught my eye immediately. I like the mix between the hasty and rush atmoshopere and the calm that can be found in so many places of the city. After leaving my stuff at her place, a nice 3 rooms flat, we went to have lunch in a place called “the Blue Legume”, one of the first lovely local places that Steph showed me during my stay. I had Halloumi-Spicy Sausage Panini and an English Tea and I was on a good way of working off the list of things that I wanted to make during my stay. Eating something very British was finally accomplished when having Fish&Chips the same night. We spent the day walking across the city, crossing several bridges, taking pictures of  Shakespeare's Globe, Tower Bridge, St,Paul’s Cathedral and took some drinks with friends of Steph in a Bar that she refered to as her After-Work bar. A lot of suits, young couples but no toursits met and caught up on the latest news, gossip and adventures. The day of sightseeing was indeed British, but should entail another very British ingredient; Notting Hill with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. We slept into the next day and went for brunch in a place called Breakfast Club. Typical English breakfast, a fridge that is a secret door to a nightclub, sunshine on the back and lovely company made the start for a great day to come. We walked along the Themse in order to get the cruiser to Greenwhich. Still sunny, we arrived at Greenwhich, a place I haven't been to yet and which is famous for the Planetarium and the Mediarian Line. That's where GMT (Greenwhich Mean Time) comes from. The afternoon  turned out lovely. Wandering through Greenwhich, we climbed the hill where the Planetarium is situated. A beautiful view and an amazing sunset over London made this little excursion very memorable. We went home to pick up Pam, Steph's roommate, in order to get some drinks. I ordered a pint and accomplished the list successfully.
Now it is time to get to Lusaka - Zambia! See you soon, Europe...I am out of here!

1 Kommentar: